- 399,546 children are in foster care in the US
- 101,709 children are waiting to be adopted
- Nearly 60% of children in foster care in the US wait two years or more to be adopted
- Nearly 1/3 of children in foster care are 13 or older
- Likelihood of a 14 year old to be adopted is less than 4%
- Approximately 5 children die every day because of child abuse
- 1 out 3 girls and 1 out of 5 boys will be sexually abused by someone they know by the time they turn 18
- 90% of child sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator in some way
- 68% are abused by a family member
- In 2012 82.2% perpetrators were found to be between 18 and 44 39.6% of which were reported to be 25 and 34
- In US more than 4 children die from child abuse and neglect on a daily basis
Chris Carmichael and Glen Garvin of Royal Family Kids Camp
- Abuse happens at every socioeconomic level
- Most abuse takes place before the child is two years old. Second age category with the most abuse starts at seven years old
- Most things that get picked up by mainstream media is usually sexual abuse and torture.
- Most kids are dealing with abandonment. Parents typically have substance abuse issues and walk out on their children
- Every child in foster care knows every adult in their life will leave. As adults, they become prisoners, delinquents
Royal Family Kids
Royal Family Kids Camp was founded in 1985. Wade and Diane Tesch discovered there were many foster care children in Orange County, CA where churches weren’t doing much for them. Wade ran a camp for 37 children which ultimately became a disaster. It was run like a church camp and the kids were much more street savvy. Instead of using a church camp model, the children turned it into a family model. Every camper had a grandpa, grandma, aunt, uncle. There was one counselor for every two kids. To reach more kids, more churches needed to be involved. 1988 second camp is launched. 1990 three camps were active with 150 kids all of which are foster kids 6-12 years old. This summer, there will be 213 camps across the world. 25 camps are international.
7500 kids will attend camp this summer 6.5% are foster kids in US 11,000 adult volunteers on the camp side and 1,200 on mentor side. This year they will reach over 100,000 kids.