What warnings signs should you take note of in the victim?
- Batterer will be good at striking the victim where you can’t see, so markings or bruising will not be obvious, initially. When they’re visible, it hasn’t been the first time.
- They are receiving harassing or controlling phone calls.
- Being isolated from friends and family
- Reporting to work early and leaving late.
- Finds it difficult to remain focused, mainly in a conversation of any kind.
- Forced to make excuses for the batterer and for non-attendance of events
- There will be an increase of unexplained absences from work, normally Mondays.
How to identify the batterer…
- Seen as charming.
- Overly controlling about every aspect of the victim’s life.
- History of abusive relationships.
- Blames the victim and others for all his lot in life.
- Extremely jealous.
- Viscous towards others that seek to spend time with the victim.
- Overtly manipulative.
- Abusive to animals.
What to do once you’ve seen any of the red flags…
Give the victim options and resources.
Listen to more and how we can help anyone in a domestic violence situation HERE at episode 159.
For more Safety Tips, follow me & my podcast THE SECURITY BRIEF on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram.